Wednesday 4 June 2014

Why I exercise? During E.D & in Recovery...

While reading a fitness magazine I came across an article about a Personal Trainer who got his clients to write down a list of how they felt before, during, after their workout & why they actually workout in general. I thought this would be an interesting & fun thing to try myself; but do it about my workout routine during my eating disorder & about my new workout routine now I'm recovering.
I found it amazing to actually see how unhealthy my whole mindset was to exercise before as I've never sat & properly thought about the differences between now & then. So to see it written down & to compare them was a real eye opener! 

Exercise During E.D
Before
  • Dreading the workout
  • Tired
  • No energy
  • Aching body
During
  • Hating every minute
  • Entire body hurts from lack of muscle/no energy
  • Forcing myself to carry on as my OCD for doing 1hr 20 m every day.
  • Wanting to punish myself as I was 'fat, disgusting, unworthy' etc
  • Pure boredom
  • Looking at other gym people & feeling jealous that they were enjoying themselves/looked better & healthier & were lifting weights when I was stuck on a treadmill for hours
After
  • Relief the workout is over
  • Then dread as I knew I'd have to repeat all over again the next day
  • Numbness
  • Feeling sick at the thought of having to carry on doing that 1hr 20m every day for the rest of my life.
  • Wishing I could get out of my rut/routine
  • Pure pain as my body literally wasting away under me
Why
  • I felt I 'needed/had' too
  • Punishment to myself
  • Couldn't eat if I hadn't done my 1hr 20m every morning
  • Thought it was part of my life
  • I'd get fat if I didn't go
  • To become thinner
Recovering from E.D
Before
  • So mucgh energy
  • Can't wait to start
  • Actually wanting to go rather than feeling I 'have' too
During
  • Love the strong feeling of lifting weights
  • Having good exercise burn rather than the no energy ache before
  • Enjoying every minute rather than being bored & hating it
  • Seeing my muscles tensed in the mirror as I do exercises & feeling proud of them rather than seeing them as 'bulky'
After
  • On a good workout high/pumped!
  • Feeling strong & healthy
  • Looking forward to my next workout
  • Feeling my muscles fatiuged in a good way rather than wasting themselves away
  • Ready to take on my day!
Why
  • To feel strong & healthy
  • To grow lean muscle & look toned
  • To actually look after my body & keep it in the best condition rather than destroying it
  • So I can treat myself to lots of unhealthy, naughty treats without feeling guilty! haha
  • Hitting PRs & goals
  • Having something to aim for with different routines/goals rather than having the same boring routine every single day


Love

No comments:

Post a Comment